Sunday, August 8, 2010

New shutter curtains for the Gallus Derby-Lux

Gallus Derby-Lux new set of curtains #1

When I finished the restoration of the Gallus Derby-Lux, the shutter curtains were my main concern.
So I made a test roll. I was pleased with some of the results...

Gallus Derby-Lux Picture (6)

...but the exposures were not consistent.

I was thinking that it might be a good idea to make a new set of curtains, when my good friend Dirk asked me about the size of them, he had the same camera and needed that info.

I disassembled it, took of the curtains, so I could measure them and that was when I decided to make new ones.

I started by laying flat the old curtains, sticking them to a sheet of paper with tape, so I could measure them precisely. As you can see in the top image.

I had to order the fabric from Japan, after a few days it arrived and I started by tracing, with a tailor's pencil, the form of the old ones

Gallus Derby-Lux new set of curtains #3
the fabric with the cutting marks, that I was checking by the old curtains.

Gallus Derby-Lux new set of curtains #4
Cut it with a fabric cutter, used in the making of quilts.

Gallus Derby-Lux new set of curtains #5 Gallus Derby-Lux new set of curtains #6
Left: I left a small stretch uncut in all four corners, just in case I cut it too much.
Right: I finished the corners with a small, sharp scissors.

Gallus Derby-Lux new set of curtains #7
Double checking the sizes, before going any further.

Gallus Derby-Lux new set of curtains #8
Rollers and shafts cemented with contact glue.

Gallus Derby-Lux new set of curtains #9
Installing the rear curtain. In here I used a steel nail and a small hammer to fix the metal bars to the curtains.

Gallus Derby-Lux new set of curtains #10 Gallus Deby-Lux new set of curtains #11
Left: Both curtains installed and the rollers already tensioned. The tension is achieved by turning the inner rod of the tension rollers, that you can see on front left side, looking like head screws, retained by a steel wire.
Right: Rear box in place.

Gallus Derby-Lux new set of curtains #12

Testing the speeds using a, home made, shutter speed tester, connected to the mic plug of the pc soundcard.

Here you can see how I built the shutter speed tester.

Gallus Derby-Lux new set of curtains #13
Shutter assembly in place.

Gallus Derby-Lux
Camera ready for a new test.

I'm very pleased with the results, of course, that's not a camera for a daily use but, for it's looks, the amount of work and fine results that I achieved, she has a special place in my collection

Me and Gallus Derby-Lux
The proud owner.

Some more pictures taken with it:
Câmara - Gallus Derby-Lux Gallus Derby-Lux Picture (4)

Gallus Derby-Lux Picture (1)          Afurada

Stay tuned (o;