Monday, July 11, 2011

#25 Voigtländer Bessa

Voigtlander Bessa (2)


This was my first 6 x 9 camera.
I was so impressed by the results of my VPK that I wanted a larger format.
I was also on a buying spree.
When I found this beauty on the *Bay I grabbed it. What impressed me the most was it's "locomotive look"
I also find it great the brand lettering and the red captions aids to the scale focusing.


Voigtlander Bessa (1)


This camera was made in the early 1930's in Braunshweig, Germany, by Voigtländer.
The lens is an Anastigmat Voigtar 105 mm 1:6.3 mounted on a three speed Gauthier (AGC), Embezet shutter, 1/25-50-100 of a second, B and T. This shutter doesn't require cocking.
It has two viewfinders one on the side of the folding type and the other an optic brilliant type, that, as usual in this kind of finders, turns 90º, to take portrait or landscape pictures.
The lens board self erects as the front door opens and the bellows unfolds.
A folding key is used to advance the film controlling it in the ruby window of the back door.
Eight exposures, 6 x 9 cm, on 120 film.


Voigtlander Bessa (5)


I find it incredibly elegant whatever the angle I look at it.


Voigtlander Bessa (3)


The quality of manufacture is amazing, a camera with eighty years and still working flawlessly, as you can see in the following pictures that I took with it:


Bessa I - Douro (2)

Me and Voigtlander Bessa

Stay tuned (o;