This camera was an unexpected and involuntary gift from my friend, Mário Azevedo.
When he gave me back the Nikon F-301, that I had traded by the Olympus IS-2, I opened the bag, was checking the content and found this:
I asked him if it was a bonus gift but he didn't even knew what I was talking about, he had totally forgot about that camera, only when I send him some pictures of it, he remembered having bought it, to take some pictures on a ski trip.
So he told me to keep it.
The camera has some interesting features, like the comprehensive zoom 28-80 and the all weather design.
Most of the controls are located on the top plate and are easily accessible.
Stay tuned (o;
What I like the least in this camera is the 45º protruding flash, that pops-up as soon as one opens the clam shell lens protector, that activates the camera.
I find it a nice usable camera, small, light and quite a nice performer, at least in broad daylight.
Only if the lens where faster...
SPECIFICATIONS: (from the instructions manual)
- Type: Full automatic 35 mm autofocus lens-shutter camera with built-in 28 ~ 80 mm zoom lens.
- Film format: 35 mm standard DX-coded film (24 x 36 mm)
- Lens: Olympus lens 28 ~ 80 mm F4.5 ~ 8.4, 9 elements in 8 groups.
- Shutter: Programmed electronic shutter.
- Viewfinder: Real image zoom viewfinder (with autofocus mark, close-up correction marks, autofocus indicator and flash indicator). Provided with dioptre adjustment.
- Focusing: Active-type autofocus system. Focus lock possible. Focusing range: 0.8 m (2.6 ft) ~ (infinity).
- Exposure control: Programmed automatic exposure control, 2-zone light metering, switchable to spot metering. Auto exposure range: Wide-angle — EV2.4 (F4.5, 4 sec.) to EV16 (F11.4, 1/500 sec.), Telephoto — EV4.2 (F8.4, 4 sec.) to EV17 (F19.8, 1/335 sec.).
- Exposure counter: Progressive type with automatic reset, displayed on LCD panel.
- Selftimer: Electronic selftimer 12-sec. delay.
- Remote control (optional): Infrared remote control unit with 3-sec. delay.
- Film speed range: Automatic setting with DX-coded film with ISO 50, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200.
- Film speeds other than above will be automatically set to next lower speed. For non DX-coded film and film with less than ISO 50, film speed is set to ISO 100.
- Film loading: Automatic loading. (Automatically advances to first frame when camera back cover is closed.)
- Film advance: Automatic film winding.
- Film rewind: Automatic film rewind (automatic rewind activation at end of film, automatic rewind stop).
- Rewind possible at any point with rewind button.
- Flash: Built-in flash. Recycling time: Approx. 0.5 ~ 7 sec. (at normal temperature with new battery).
- Flash working range: Wide-angle — 0.8 ~ 4.4 m (2.6 ~ 14.4 ft), Telephoto — 0.8 ~ 2.3 m (2.6 ~ 7.5 ft) with ISO 100 color negative film; Wideangle — 0.8 ~ 8.8 m (2.6 ~ 28.9 ft), Telephoto — 0.8 ~ 4.6 m (2.6 ~ 15.1 ft) with ISO 400 color negative film.
- Flash modes: Auto (automatic flash activation in low light and back-light, Red-eye Reduction (otherwise same as in Auto), Flash Off (no flash with slowest shutter speed of 4 sec.), Fill-In (forced activation), Night Scene (for night scenes with slowest shutter speed of 4 sec. other functions operate the same as in Auto), Red-eye Reducing Night Scene (otherwise same as in Night Scene).
- Battery check: Displayed on LCD panel.
- Weatherproof: IEC Standard publication 529. Classification of degrees of protection provided by enclosures. Degree of protection indicated by second characteristics numeral 4.
- Short description: Protected against splashing water.
- Definition: Water splashed against enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effect.
- Test for second numeral 4: Equipment is sprayed from all practical directions. Water pressure is adjusted to give delivery rate of 10 lit./min. Test duration shall be 1 min. per m2 of calculated surface area of enclosure with minimum duration of 5 min.
- Power source: 3 V lithium battery (DL123A/CR123A)
- Dimensions: 120 (W) x 64 (H) x 49 (D) mm (4.7 x 2.5 x 1.9 in) (without grip and other protrusions).
- Weight: 255 g (9.0 oz) (without battery)
Some pictures taken with it:
Stay tuned (o;